Love trying new things and while trying to eat healthier I decided to try a Lemon Garlic Chicken with a few twists. With a creamy lemon garlic sauce and plenty of parmesan cheese for Papa but I made it with ZOODLES this time!
so I am up with….
Chicken Piccatta with a Creamy Parmesan Lemon Garlic Sauce
When I was fighting to get out of the pre-diabeties state, I knew pasta was one of those things I had to cut back or even eliminate. That’s when I discovered ZOODLES! In case you don’t know what zoodles are, you make them from zucchini by using a spiralizer. I got mine on Amazon HERE and LUV LUV LUV IT! It does a lot more than just zoodles!
You can substitute zoodles for just about any pasta recipe. And if you’re growing your own Zucchini, which usually comes in bounties, this is a perfect quick meal to use up the fresh ones. But you can always use spaghetti noodles too if you prefer. This is delicious either way.
One day I’m going to remember to take photos of the steps while making. 😉 But I did get a few to show you how delish this looks. It was a total hit with the family and even converted Papa on the Zoodles. He prefers his slightly cooked and warmed so it’s more like a spaghetti noodle, but I like them raw or cooked.
The recipe is at the bottom. You can substitute milk if you’re counting calories but we prefer the heavy cream version. It really is the only item in the ingredients that one could argue is not totally healthy. But hopefully soon I’ll have fresh cream to make this with once we get the new Homestead up and running.
- For the Chicken:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 4
- 2 TBS flour
- 2 TBS finely grated Parmesan Cheese
- pinch of salt
- fresh ground pepper
- For Sauce:
- 1 TBS Olive Ohio
- 2 tsp Butter
- 3 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1/3-1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 TBS water
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 2 TBS fresh minced parsley
- Handful (1 Cup) of shredded up Spinach
- 2 Zucchini made into Zoodles or your favorite pasta Spaghetti noodles.
- Lemon slices
- I usually do my Zoodles while the chicken is cooking. If you are using spaghetti noodles start your water first.
- Combine the flour and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly coat the chicken in the flour and set aside.
- Heat tablespoon of oil and 2 teaspoons of the butter in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Fry the chicken until golden on each side and no longer pink. Usually it's about 4 minutes a side depending on thickness. Place these on a plate on the side.
- Now add your garlic to the pan and just cook about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low-medium, add the chicken stock and cream. Bring to a gentle simmer and season with pepper to taste. Add in the grated parmesan cheese.
- Continue to cook gently for another 2-3 minutes until it thickens. If it's thinner than you like, add the cornstarch and water mix to the pan and stir it in. Should thicken up quickly.
- Pour in the lemon juice and simmer a minute to combine. Add in the Spinach and just stir to combine.
- Add your chicken back into the pan, add the lemon slices on top and simmer another minute or two.
- After I remove the chicken, I add my zoodles in just to warm for 30 seconds or so. Some people like them crispy and that's ok too.
- Serve with the sauce over your pasta or zoodles and top with lemon slices, parsley and of course freshly grated parmesan.
You can substitute whole milk instead of the cream but you will need to use the cornstarch mix to thicken.
Hope you try this and let me know what you think!